Singing in the City that Never Sleeps

As the school year progresses, I’ve been able to experience and capitalize on so many amazing opportunities in the College Choir and Chamber Singers.  Just one short week ago, I was able to travel to New York City with the Chamber Singers!  From being special guests at a high-end restaurant and performing our repertoire for a group of esteemed individuals, to exploring the city and walking the Brooklyn Bridge together, it truly was a night to remember.

Perhaps the most poignant moment was when we all walked across the Brooklyn Bridge — some of us in pairs, some of us in small groups, and some of us alone.  As we walked down the designated path, the city was literally all around us.  As far as the eye could see, there were lit-up bridges, high-rise apartment buildings, universities, and the East River.  Walking in my performance attire and feeling extremely lucky, I traversed the bridge in awe.  In that moment, I felt completely free and lightweight, and there was no one I would rather have been with than my new family.  It may have been midterm week, but all stress I had was alleviated.  As I breathed in the air around me — surprisingly clean and fresh for the city that never sleeps — I felt a sense of contentment and happiness envelop me.  In one afternoon and night, I was able to create lasting memories with my dearest Holy Cross friends — and that is something I can’t wait to do again next year and in future trips and performances to come. – Elizabeth Driver ’19